My younger daughter loves roasted beets and carrots so I often make them as a side dish for many meat and poultry dishes. I like to roast them at a lower temperature, about 375F, covering with foil half way through. This allows for beets and carrots to come out tender while holding their shape and not looking all dried and shriveled. The veggies come out so tasty that I rarely have any leftovers. This is one of those perfect healthy dishes that even kids are fond of.
To add some zest to the dish, I like to throw in a handful of garlic cloves. Roasted garlic tastes absolutely delicious. But not everyone in the family likes it so I use whole cloves of garlic which can be picked out quite easily. I also like adding crumbled feta cheese for even more zing and to make sweet roasted beets and carrots taste more balanced.
Looking for more delicious vegetable side dish recipes? Check these out:
Roasted Beets and Carrots with Feta Cheese
- 4 beets (medium size)
- 4 carrots (medium size)
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea or kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- Fresh cilantro leaves (for garnish)
- Peel and cut beets into wedges. Peel and cut carrots into 1 1/2" pieces, then cut in half. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk olive oil, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, maple syrup and salt until well combined. Add the oregano, pepper and basil and whisk some more. Add the chopped vegetables and mix well to ensure even coverage.
- Transfer the vegetables, including garlic, to a baking tray lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Roast at 375F for 30 minutes, then cover with aluminum foil can continue baking for another 30 minutes or until the vegetables have reached the desired tenderness.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables to a platter, drizzle with some olive oil, sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese, garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.
Great recipe. Very tasty. Pleasing to the eye. Simple preparation.
I am wondering if the roasting part can be done a day in advance.
It could but won’t be the same as fresh. If you do, reheat it covered with foil to preserve moisture.
Oh my gosh this is so good! Snd easy too!
Glad to hear it. Enjoy!
Roasted garlic is still garlic. Can I substitute shallots?
Shallots will work. I’ve also tried fennel and liked it.
this turned out real good….i like the herbs in with it . This will be my go to recipe for beets…thanks
You are very welcome, enjoy!
This recipe was so good! Thank you so much! I love your website 🙂
You are very welcome, Victoria. Thank you for the kind words.
Wonderful recipe. This is my family’s new favorite dish!!!
This vegetable dish is brilliant! We all loved it!
Loved the recipe but dressed it a tad. Instead of Cilantro I used a Rainbow Mix of Microgreens along with Feta. Awesome taste!
What about the honey?
Good catch, thank you. Instructions updated. The honey is added with the liquid ingredients.