Southern Potato Salad
Servings 8 servings
- 2 lbs russet potatoes about 4-5 medium potatoes; peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise and up to 1 cup for more creaminess
- 1/4 cup prepared mustard dijon is recommended
- 1/2 cup chopped dill pickles
- 1/3 cup chopped pickled red onions optional but highly recommended; or thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper plus more to taste
Drop peeled and cubed potatoes in a pot filled with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork-tender, about 12-15 minutes.
In a separate pot, bring water to a boil. Add the eggs, bring to a boil again, lower the temperature and simmer for 12-13 minutes. Transfer to a bowl filled with cold water and let the eggs cool down for a few minutes. Then peel and chop.
Drain the potatoes and transfer to a medium bowl. Mash about a third of the potatoes with a fork. Add the chopped egg. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the potatoes and eggs and stir.
Add the mayonnaise, mustard, chopped pickles and pickled red onion or green onions (if using). Mix thoroughly, taste and adjust for salt and pepper if needed, and serve. Store leftovers in a fridge.
Calories: 273kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 482mg | Potassium: 532mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 149IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 2mg