Italian Minestrone Soup Recipe (Trieste Style)
Recipe for minestrone Triestino, or minestrone from Trieste, also known as 'jota', is a traditional dish in Italy's north-eastern region of Friuli-Venezia Giulia, in particular in the cities of Trieste and Gorizia.
Servings 12 servings
- 2 oz double smoked bacon (diced)
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 1/2 lb (about 5 1/2 cups) Swiss chard (leaves and stems, roughly chopped)
- 1/2 lb (two small or one large) zucchini (cut into thick slices)
- 5 oz (2 packed cups) spinach (roughly chopped)
- 3 oz (about 1 cup) chopped green beans (fresh or frozen and defrosted)
- 2 carrots (cut into thick slices)
- 1 celery rib (cut into thick slices)
- 2 tomatoes (peeled and sliced)
- 2 large potatoes (peeled and cut into quarters)
- 6 1/2 cups beef or vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 tomatoes (peeled and minced)
- 5 oz (1 1/2 cups) durum wheat semolina pasta
- 3 Tbsp olive oil (for frying)
- 4 Tbsp Grana Padano cheese (or Parmigiano Reggiano, grated)
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and bacon, and cook until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
Add the Swiss chard, zucchini, spinach, celery, green beans, potatoes, carrots and the 2 sliced tomatoes. Continue cooking for another 15 minutes, stirring every now and then.
Add the broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook, covered, for an hour and 15 minutes.
Remove the potatoes from the pot, mash, mix with the minced tomatoes and return back to the pot.
Add the pasta and cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked. The time will depend on the kind of pasta you are using.
Add the chopped parsley, butter and 4 tablespoons of Grana Padano or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Mix well and serve.
Calories: 180kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 660mg | Potassium: 535mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 4805IU | Vitamin C: 24.7mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 2.3mg