Israeli Couscous Salad Recipe
Servings 6 servings
- 1 cup Israeli couscous raw
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or butter
- 2 cups chickpeas cooked
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped mint
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 tomatoes cut into small pieces; or about 12 ounces (2 cups) of grape tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, or baby heirloom tomatoes of assorted colors, halved
- 2 stalks green onions thinly sliced
- 3 baby cucumbers cut into small cubes
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper minced; optional
For the dressing
- 1/3 cup olive oil or canola oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice from one lemon or so
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper freshly ground
To prepare the couscous, heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a medium pot and toast the dried pearls for a minute or two. Add 1 1/4 cups of water (or vegetable broth) and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes.
Place all the ingredients in a large bowl, mix, taste for salt and pepper and adjust if necessary.
Cover and let stand at room temperature until ready to serve, up to 4-5 hours.
Calories: 368kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 312mg | Potassium: 667mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1690IU | Vitamin C: 35.3mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 3.3mg